The San Marzano Consortium intends to pursue a comprehensive activity for the economic development and the valorisation of the territory above-mentioned, involving all the economic, institutional and social participants present in the area where this particular product is cultivated and processed. Therefore these objectives are particularly demanding.
- to carry out all the activities and tasks assigned to the protection consortiums by community, national and regional legislations;
- to undertake to maintain the registers of producers and processors of this product who can use the pdo trademark;
- to promote and carry out an appropriate policy of concentration of the product available;
- to develop and spread the improvement of the cultivation techniques;
- to promote genetic improvements and provide for preservation and the conservation of the germ-plasma of the ecotypes of autochthonous tomatoes as well as their selection; to take all the initiatives aimed at perfecting and improving the agro-industrial processing of the product;
- to improve the economic earning capacity of agricultural producers;
In order to offer guarantees to consumers, the Consortium will dedicate particular attention to all the control procedures from the seeds to the plants, to the system of cultivation and transformation and to the analysis carried out in the laboratory; it will also ensure that only packages of tomatoes numbered and certified by the IS.ME.CERT., the certification institute designated by the Ministry for Agricultural Policies, are introduced in to the market.